Monday, October 12, 2009

What the heck did I get myself into?

Have you ever started an organization - yeah, me either.

That being said, here I am the Founder of Paws for Troops, an organization that benefits military veterans and shelter animals.

An amazing idea that I got one night while meditating. There I was quietly passing time until they said we could open our eyes again, which is as close as I get to meditating, and this idea popped into my head.

Now, if you know me, you will understand that I am already a big advocate of rescue/re-homing animals. And, I have lived long enough, with enough awareness of the world to realize the US does not treat its war veterans with grace and dignity.

So, when this idea came to me, it seemed too easy. Much too easy, surely someone had already done this. Nope, after some research, we found no one had.

The idea is simple. Work with the local VA and bring military veterans to local animal shelters. While there, they will work with the animals in a safe environment, reaping the healing affects that animals bring. The animals will reap the benefits of working with individuals that have been taught to be calm and assertive - a bonus to an animal that may be in shock from being left at a shelter.

With a myriad of volunteer opportunities, the veteran can pick and choose where he/she would like to help. This will give them an opportunity to be in the community, being of service. This service will assist the shelters in manpower and making the animals more adoptable.

Simple really!

No comments:

Post a Comment